Very large basting spoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
juantotree
contributor

Very large basting spoon

Post by juantotree »

Hi

I have put this in the Scandinavian section, purely because it looks most likely to my eyes to be from this part of the world. However there are no town or country marks, just the makers mark stamped twice. Does anybody have any ideas?

Many Thanks
Martin

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Very large basting spoon

Post by Sasropakis »

Somehow the decoration reminds me of this Norwegian spoon featured here some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=53174 Maybe you or someone else could check the book mentioned in the thread. If it's Norwegian provincial silver it could explain the absence of assay marks.
Other explanation could be that it's British and the maker is duty dodger (usually the makers' mark is struck twice then). It looks a bit like one mark here: https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Mak ... ID.html#IB [I B 1774 Candle snuffers Note similarity to the "possibly John Buckett" mark below] But based on the style Scandinavia would be my guess too.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Many thanks for you thoughts Sasropakis, I am fairly certain it isn't a British spoon. I have added an image of an inscription on the spoon which I believe relates to a marriage. This is overwriting an earlier dot prick inscription, I know it may be rrelevant to the spoon's origin but it might provide an additional pointer.

Martin

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Martin,

I have a very similar "Marriage Spoon" which has the town mark for the Southern Danish/Northern German(depending on when) town of Tondern / Tønder in Northern Schleswig. Although a different maker, the styles are similar and I assume yours is of similar 400mm size? See here for the info kindly supplied by Ringo about my spoon.

http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=43976

cheers,
Steve
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

The inscription certainly points out to Scandinavia. It's in Swedish but might be the same in Norwegian (but in Danish it should be "minde") and means "memory of 16 July" which combined with the initials could be for marriage or anniversary. The decoration looks like bright cut engraving found in British spoons in the late 18th century but the execution is different so I don't think the from there but it might imitate the style.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Thank you both for the information. Steve my spoon is a little bit smaller, it measures 38cms, but is certainly very similar in style.

Thanks again
Martin
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

i could not find maker in Denmark. But that does not exclude denmark.
Correct with minne - but thats not original bit a later inscription. The original is the prick engravement. 100 years older.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hose_dk wrote:i could not find maker in Denmark. But that does not exclude denmark.
Correct with minne - but thats not original bit a later inscription. The original is the prick engravement. 100 years older.
Thank you very much for taking the time to try to find the maker.

Martin

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”