PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Biju

19C Swedish Bowl identification

Post by Biju »

Hi All,

I found some of the same markings as on the bowl in this 925-1000 topic page
https://www.925-1000.com/Fsweden_Date_Code.html

Would appreciate help with this 19C Swedish bowl with respect to the following:

1 - When did Sweden begin using the "S" inside a hexagon to mark silver? Like the second image on the topic page, mine does not have the "S"

2 - I am thinking that the date mark on the bowl is the same as the second image on the topic page, i.e. I believe it is also a "V4", which would make it 1851. However, the "V" is more stylized on mine and looks like it has a dot/period after the "V". Opinions?

3 - The first mark I believe is a crowned "G" for Goteborg, like in the first image of the 925-1000 topic page. Agree/disagree?

Appreciate all the expertise!

Biju

Re: 19C Swedish Bowl identification

Post by Biju »

Also forgot to ask if anyone knows the maker? The mark looks like "CT".
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Looks like Göteborg and 1851. "V" looks a bit odd though but apparently there has been some variation with the style of the letters and I've seen some cases where there's a dot after the letter.
If the maker's mark is CT then it could be Carl Tengstedt (1819-1862): https://www.silverstamplar.com/c-d.html (third from the bottom)
I couldn't find when the additional "S" hallmark came into use but in any case it's a later addition so it shouldn't be found on items from the mid 19th century.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Another possibility could be that the date mark is K4 for 1840. I tried to zoom in the photo but couldn't really see if the letter has worn out so that K would look V. instead.
Biju

Post by Biju »

Sasropakis wrote:Looks like Göteborg and 1851. "V" looks a bit odd though but apparently there has been some variation with the style of the letters and I've seen some cases where there's a dot after the letter.
If the maker's mark is CT then it could be Carl Tengstedt (1819-1862): https://www.silverstamplar.com/c-d.html (third from the bottom)
I couldn't find when the additional "S" hallmark came into use but in any case it's a later addition so it shouldn't be found on items from the mid 19th century.
Great info! I think you're right. Appreciate the feedback. And it is possible that the date letter is a "K" and not a "V" as you mentioned later, but it's too hard to tell with the imprint of that mark.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The hexagon frame with S was used 1913-2000. Mind my asking but what has that to do with this marking? The year mark is V4.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

I guess the OP was referring to the topic page where an example of the hexagon mark was shown and wanted to know when is was used and should the item have it. I couldn't find any info about the years but as I suspected it was a much later addition. Do you know why it was used? The only info I could find was that there was a similar mark with P for platinum but but was it really necessary to have an additional hallmark just to differentiate silver and platinum?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Sasropakis
Unfortunately I don't know why this hexagonal S-mark was introduced. I would guess that it has something to do with the later implementation of the platinum mark P in 1925. Probably to separate platinum from silver for people not "knowing" the difference, or ???? Earlier platinum was not considered to be a valuable metal. Mind my asking but which one are you, Sasrop or akis :-)))))))))
Biju

Post by Biju »

Sasropakis wrote:I guess the OP was referring to the topic page where an example of the hexagon mark was shown and wanted to know when is was used and should the item have it. I couldn't find any info about the years but as I suspected it was a much later addition. Do you know why it was used? The only info I could find was that there was a similar mark with P for platinum but but was it really necessary to have an additional hallmark just to differentiate silver and platinum?
Yes, that's correct, I was wondering if the bowl was missing the "S" in the hexagon mark or whether the mark did not come into use yet, which is the case, as you are saying it was introduced in 1913.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Qrt.S wrote:@Sasropakis
Mind my asking but which one are you, Sasrop or akis :-)))))))))
I guess I'm "akis" by now... :-)

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”