1697 Silver Spoon from Unknown Country?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
testing123

1697 Silver Spoon from Unknown Country?

Post by testing123 »

Trying to figure out if this really is from 1697. The bowl has "EN ERING TRONDHIEM" along with a floral design (I'm wondering if this was added at a later date?). The back has "13 14" a "V" and maybe a deer hallmark. The handle has 3 more stamps, one is another 13 14 but I can't really make out the others. Inscribed on the bowl is (I can't quite tell) VAS 1697. Was this spoon made in 1697? Any ideas on the hallmarks? Thank you for your help!

Image[
Joerg
contributor

Re: 1697 Silver Spoon from Unknown Country?

Post by Joerg »

Hi
can you post larger, high definition pictures of the marks on the bowl. the 13.. mark looks much less worn. Anyway, I am not an expert in Scandinavian silver, but would expect to see a 13 1/2 mark. A good picture would confirm this.
Regards, Jörg
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

This spoon is almost certainly German or Dutch with pseudo marks. It dates from around 1900 or thereabouts. It is definitely not Norwegian in style. It is more in the Dutch historicist style. I have never seen pseudo marks in the style of fantasy Norwegian marks before though. It is a very interesting spoon.
testing123

Post by testing123 »

I hope these new pictures can help! Is it possible the handle is from one era and the bowl is from another?

legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

The entire piece is a fantasy piece and was made together. Considering there are no proper marks it could almost qualify as a fake except now this fake antique has become an antique with about 100 years of age. It is a fun and beautiful spoon but no parts of it are older than the late 1800's

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”