Help with identification possibly Norwegian?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
drcoll

Help with identification possibly Norwegian?

Post by drcoll »

Hi, can anyone help with identification of the maker and also to tell if the item is sterling or plate.

It has been suggested the mark is Theodor Olsens Eftf from Bergan Norway.

I have three photos. Any help really appreciated.

Many thanks

Dudley
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dudley,
The marking system in Norway, since 1891, has required a numerical mark to indicate silver fineness (830, 900, & 925 most commonly) and this fineness stamp to be placed in conjunction with the maker's mark. The numbers on your piece don't work for this and are likely pattern numbers, although the "27A" may be one of those arcane designations to indicate how thick is the layer of silverplate.
As to the maker, I do not know if it is Olsen, I have also been trying to identify this maker's mark. Here is an example of it on a sterling piece.
Regards, Tom

http://www.925-1000.com/Fnorway_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-
Last edited by admin on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The marks are Theodor Olsens of Bergen, the company is still in business, and continues to use a similar trademark, the one in the shield is different from the many different Olsens marks I've seen, but the key to their mark is that "crown" of intersecting lines. Can't say that I'm familiar with their plateware, so can't really help on the other marks.

Cheryl ;o)

http://www.toe.no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Cheryl,
Very glad to have that ID!
Tom
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Pleased to see you doing the Norwegian makers, when I get a chance I'll look through my pieces, can probably come up with a few additional marks for Norway and Denmark.

Cheryl ;o)
drcoll

Post by drcoll »

Many thanks for the replies.

Dudley

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”