P&B Silver box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
phillipbeynon

P&B Silver box

Post by phillipbeynon »

Here's what I know:

First mark is "P&B" with an "L" and what looks like an "O" in smaller type.
Second mark is a Lion Passant, so the item is sterling silver.
Third mark is definitely a head, but is faint. I assume it is a Leopard's Head for London.
Last mark is an "M"

I'd like to know the following

What date was this made?
Who was P&B?
Is the "L_" next to P&B "LO" for London?

I'd like to express my appreciation to the creator of this site. Geat job. Thank you.

Yes, I own this item. I used the seller's eBay images out of necessity. His images were better.
TBC

Post by TBC »

Hello. Your item was made in London in 1947/1948, so it's of relatively recent vintage, late art deco in style.

I'm afraid I cannot tell you who P&B are/ were. My books do not list makers' marks post 1910 - few do.

I would be confident, however, that it is a company name and that the "Lo" you describe is in fact "Ld", an unorthodox abbreviated from of "Ltd" which is the official form for "Limited" as in the name of a company incorporated under the English companies Acts. So, my view is that it is "P & B Limited".

Rgds,

Tom
phillipbeynon

It is "LD"

Post by phillipbeynon »

Wow. I hadn't thought of "LD" You're right of course. Looking at it more closely, I can see a depression in the center. What does the "M" signify and how was it used the find the exact date?

Thank you for your assistance.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Philip

All sterling marked in England was allocated a "Date Letter" (in your case M). If you explore http://www.925-1000.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and go to the English hallmarks, you will find tables of date letters. At the risk of generalising and being over simplistic, the letters A to Z mean individual years in a certain time frame. The shape and font of the letters help to extend the livlihood of this system. Have a look at some date tables and you will see what we mean.

Waylander

Return to “London Hallmarks”