Tring to date a fork and id maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
georgecl

Tring to date a fork and id maker

Post by georgecl »

Hi

This piece was in my Grandmothers things
I dated the piece by the reg. mark to 1852.

but the letter date dosent match up?
London maker FH.

Thanks
GeorgeImage
georgecl

Post by georgecl »

could this be a Francis Higgins Piece?

Anyone.

Thanks
George
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

While the date letter is not that clear, it looks like the "c" for 1858 (6 years after reg mark). Mark looks to be that of Francis Higgins (mid 19th century).

Waylander
georgecl

Post by georgecl »

Thanks Waylander..

Ill try to get a better pic of the date letter..but I think you are correct a "C".

George
TBC

Post by TBC »

On the basis of the photograph, I'm relatively clear that the year is as stated 1858-59, and also that the maker is Francis Higgins, whose Tea-spoons were entered in Jackson's (p 233) for 1817. The entry in Jackson's is more out of date than I would ordinarily like. And so, I would await other, more learned persons, to opine on the date and maker's mark for this item.

Kindest regards,

Tom
TBC

Post by TBC »

On the basis of the photograph, I'm relatively clear that the year is as stated 1858-59, and also that the maker is Francis Higgins, whose Tea-spoons were entered in Jackson's (p 233) for 1817. The entry in Jackson's is more out of date than I would ordinarily like. And so, I would await other, more learned persons, to opine on the date and maker's mark for this item.

Kindest regards,

Tom
allan

Post by allan »

Hello there.
Almost certainly Higgins. The pattern is called Ornamental Elizabethan and was made by Frances Higgins for Hunt and Roskell. The design was registered 21st december 1852. It is pictured on P147 of Silver Flatware by Ian Pickford (pub antique collector's club, 1995). Incidentally, the victorian registration system is never an accurate way of dating an item, be it silver, glass or ceramics, as this is simply the date of registration of the design or pattern (a form of patenting) and many designs remained in production for amny years afterwards.
Hope this helps. I need some big help with a Scottish hall mark, so I am hoping some really clever person can help. Please see my entry!
Best wishes
Allan

Return to “London Hallmarks”