Makers' Marks on Two 17c English Silver Thimbles

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
carling
co-admin

Makers' Marks on Two 17c English Silver Thimbles

Post by carling »

Can anyone identify the maker's mark on either (or both) of these two English silver thimbles which are Carolean in style and construction? I think the marks are clear and large enough without posting separate images.

The maker's mark on the first thimble (cherubs and hearts) is punched above the heart cartouches and my best guess is that it is BG 64. I assume that 64 refers to the year 1664.

pic

On the second thimble the maker's mark is punched vertically to the left of the cartouche and although a little worn I am sure it is I·C with a central dot.

pic

Neither thimble bears any assay marks. Because of their weight thimbles were exempt and the trend of assaying of thimbles did not really get started until the 1880s. Both thimbles are less in height than the diameter of a one penny piece.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Carling
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Are there any indications that they are definitely British? Were they found there or do you have any history on them?
The mark on the first has more in common with Spanish marks. The second may well be British, but there are a number of American possibilities for I·C.
Regards, Tom
Last edited by admin on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

Thank you for your reply, Tom. I am almost certain they are British. They turned up here and two identical examples are pictured in Bridget McConnell's The Guide to Collecting Thimbles (Bracken Books), p26 and are described as 17th century English thimbles.

I contacted her. She doesn't know who the makers are either.

Best wishes,

Carling

Return to “London Hallmarks”