Help With Maker's Mark 'TH'- 19th Century London?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RSheffield

Help With Maker's Mark 'TH'- 19th Century London?

Post by RSheffield »

Hello,
I am trying to find information on the silver and crystal epergne (?) shown below. I think I know the following (please correct me if I am wrong);

*Sterling .925
*Made in London in 1804

What I can't figure out/find is the name of the smith (maker's mark 'TH'). Please let me know if you have any information on this or any of the other marks that might help.

Thanks in advance!
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Your assumptions would appear to be correct (although the piece would date earlier than 10 October in the year 1804). As for a maker - the mark is interesting in that it is almost crude. You have two real potential suspects (as per Jacksons 3rd edition) - Thomas Howell (operated from Bath), mark entered 1791, and Thomas Holland, marked entered 1798. Personally, would favour Holland.

Waylander
RSheffield

Post by RSheffield »

Thanks Waylander ... I thought the same thing about the maker's mark as most of the ones I have seen seem to be more ornate (at least the ones I have looked at for 'TH'). If I might ask, why would you assume that it must be before Oct 10 1804? What is the significance of that date? Thanks again!
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

From 11 October 1804 onwards, the shape of the duty mark changed (there was an incision in the bottom of it). It only lasted until the start of 1805.

Waylander
RSheffield

Post by RSheffield »

Great! Thanks for that tidbit. I found another piece made by Thomas Holland on the internet and the marker's mark is identical! I tried doing a search on his name but didn't return any hits. Do you know anyway of finding out more about Thomas Holland? Would JACKSON'S SILVER & GOLD MARKS OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & IRELAND have indepth details about each of the silversmiths or just very general information (when his stamp was registered etc..). My G.Grandmother (passed away long ago) seemed to think this was an important piece so I am trying to find out all I can about it.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Jacksons only gives you the very most basic details. For more in depth details, your best is Grimwade’s London Goldsmiths 1697-1837 (if you can find it - very rare. I don't even have a copy, it is that expensive).

Waylander
Gerryl
contributor

Post by Gerryl »

I'm fortunate in having a copy of Grimwade’s London Goldsmiths 1697-1837, as Waylander stated it doesn't come cheap and that's if you can find a copy. Perusing it for the period of your piece throws up a number of TH's but the most likely candidate from his detailed illustrations is Thomas Holland II.

Return to “London Hallmarks”