SILVER EGG SHAPED LADLE IS IT WILLIAM GALE? Help Dmay!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lilshuggy

SILVER EGG SHAPED LADLE IS IT WILLIAM GALE? Help Dmay!

Post by lilshuggy »

Last one. This ladle is approx. 14" long. It is egg shaped, and I want to know if this is a marriage. I don't think so, not sure. The silver ladle bowl is pulled away from one of the handle attachments. You really have to pull on it to tell, but do you think this would affect value? After visiting the marks pages, the WG looks close to William Gale, but the letters on this piece look too thick in font to match that maker, not sure. Half handle appears to be some kind of wood. The marks are INSIDE the bottom of the bowl which is strange. Any idea as to age?

MANY THANKS YOU BIG BUNCH OF WONDERFUL EXPERTS. What I know about sterling can fit in a thimble. I can't believe the hundreds of makers, marks, etc. you have to know to figure out what you've got.

Lil

dmay

Post by dmay »

As you can see by the fact that your posting was moved to the British sterling section, your piece is English, not American. The marks are fairly rubbed, but it appears that the piece dates from 1742 and was made in London. I don't have my source books with me to be able to tell you the maker, but perhaps someone else can help with that. If not, I can look it up in a couple of days.

To provide some explanation, the lion mark on the left is the sterling mark, the WG is the maker's mark, the next mark appears to be a small g, which is the date letter that equates to the year 1742, and the final mark is what is called the "crowned leopard" mark, which was used as the city mark for London. There's a good explanation of British hallmarks on this website if you want to learn more.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but it is possible that the handle is a replacement. Both wooden handles and balleen handles were used for punch ladles at this time. In terms of the location of the mark, that is a common place for marks to be located on a punch ladle of this age.

Another nice piece!
dmay

Post by dmay »

I believe your maker's mark is for William Gwillim, who first registered his mark in 1740.
lilshuggy

Gwillim Ladle

Post by lilshuggy »

Been away a few days - thank you so much for the information. I also came up with Gwillim or Garrard as maker. I am shocked that I own a piece of this age. Since my original writing I have obtained much of the same info you shared with the exception of the handle, which I wondered about. I appreciate your tenacity on this piece over these several days. Thank you again for all of your help. Hope it was a fun adventure for you!

Lil

Return to “London Hallmarks”