sal328

I believe this is a Caudal Cup and Irish

Post by sal328 »

This item I think came from my Grandfathers side of the Family
the initials on the front are T A the same as he had unfortunately he died
before I was born so I don't know much of his history

Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Interesting piece! It appears to have been made in London in 1703 - during a brief period when the Britannia standard (95% silver) replaced the sterling standard (92.5% silver). Hence the Britannia mark (not Dublin).

The maker's mark used the first two letters of the surname at this period - although the letters look like BL, thay are worn and I am also wondering if they could be BI in which case Joseph Bird may be a contender.
sal328

Post by sal328 »

I am wondering if I spelled Caudal correctly. My mother told me it was used
as an invalids cup. Upon looking it up in the Dictionary the definition for
caudle is "Warm spiced gruel". As to the makers mark it could be BI as one side of the Heart Shape which the letters are enclosed is rather worn.
However my partner disagrees and says it is BL by the way there appears to be a dot between the letters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Caudle was a spiced wine drink, sometimes thickened with oatmeal or eggs. Probably served to the ailing, but not limited to them.
I believe the maker's mark is for Anthony Blackford, registered in 1702.
Regards, Tom
dmay

Post by dmay »

I know that some caudle cups have lids to them, presumably to keep that delicious sounding gruel warm. I wonder whether this one did. The placement of the handles below the lip would make a lid feasible (I have seen at least one other example where the handles were above the lip, so that a lid wouldn't have fit).

Return to “London Hallmarks”