Confirm hallmark Robert Hennel London 1784

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hetlamm

Confirm hallmark Robert Hennel London 1784

Post by hetlamm »

Hello all,

This is the first post here for me and as you will gather immediately I am new to silver collecting as well.

Attached are pictures of a Tea Pot which I gather has the hallmark for Robert Hennel in London, 1784. However, two things seem strange to me and I'd like to know whether they are indeed odd or whether my shallow knowledge of the matter makes them appear so. The maker's mark is in between the other marks versus on either terminals which I have not yet seen. Furthermore, this being 1784, should there not be a duty mark? Or did that come in part way through 1784 and therefore is not present on all the pieces from that year?

In summary I'm wondering whether this piece / hallmark is fine or whether this may be a fake.

Thanks

[/img]Image
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hi

The mark is very similar that of Hennel's first mark, and I would tend to believe it is his mark (used in the last 1/4 18th century). As for the date letter - the duty mark only came into effect 1 Dec 1784. You piece would therefore date between 1 Jan 1784 and 30 Nov 1784.
Waylander
hetlamm

Thanks!

Post by hetlamm »

Hi - Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers

Return to “London Hallmarks”