Berry Spoon--Help with Hallmarks and Crown

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cfoley

Berry Spoon--Help with Hallmarks and Crown

Post by cfoley »

I would appreciate your help to identify the age and maker of this berry spoon, as well as the crown engraving. I am a beginner and have tried to research this myself. I suspect it was from London because of the crowned leopard's head. Because of the crown, it appears to be 1821 or older. The lowercase "f" seems to be from either 1821 or 1781. Is it more likely 1781 becasue there isn't a duty mark? The marker's mark "RC" has been confusing. I found a "Richard Crossley" in late 18th Century and a "Randall Chatterton" in 1825. Both were spoonmakers. In addition, there is a number scratched at the base of the spoon "6242." All comments appreciated.

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

The mark and the style of the spoon suggest almost certainly Richard Crossley who worked as a spoon maker in the latter half of the 18th century so your 1781-2 date would concur with this.
Best wishes, Mike.
cfoley

Thank you!

Post by cfoley »

Would you happen to know why "6242" was etched on the back of the bowl of the spoon? Also, are you familiar with the crown located on the handle? What does it represent? Thank you in advance!
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

The crown on the handle is almost certainly someones crest...whose...I'm sorry I don't know and the number on the bowl may indicate a repair at a jewellers at some point. Best wishes, Mike.

Return to “London Hallmarks”