Please help with hallmark on salt spoon 1791(?)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
knowsdiddly

Please help with hallmark on salt spoon 1791(?)

Post by knowsdiddly »

Hi, please see photos below of my silver spoon which I believe is London 1791. The only other mark on it is a diamond shape stamped into it which I don't think is accidental.

Please take a look and give me your opinion as I am a newbie to silver and want to make sure I have the date right and would love to know a little more about it.
Many thanks in advance and apologies to the moderator for getting my earlier post wrong I think I have got it right this time. thanks, Martin

SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

I agree the most likely date is 1791-92, London. For such small items of this time, a truncated series of marks were required, often just a lion passant and a maker's mark for London pieces. But there seems to have been a lot of variations, a veritable mix 'n' match, of which your piece appears to be one. In your case, you have an oft omitted (in such small pieces) duty paid King George stamp, an oft omitted date stamp, and yet you're missing the usually required maker's mark. The diamond stamp is most likely a tally mark (look it up on this site), that is, a mark made by a journeyman who actually fashioned the ladle, and who was (hopefully) credited for its making. He was working in the shop of the man with the missing maker's stamp, and who'll remain forever anonymous unless someone can identify this particular journeyman's stamp.

SS
knowsdiddly

Post by knowsdiddly »

Many thanks for taking the time to look SS and thanks for the info too, very interesting. Now that you have explained what the mark is, I will have a look for who this maker was. I am really pleased so thanks for all your help. I will post back if I find any more info. Cheers, Martin

Return to “London Hallmarks”