Large Serving Spoons - Very old English? Help!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

Large Serving Spoons - Very old English? Help!

Post by Tipton444 »

I recently got a whole bunch of coin silver spoons from a tag sale, and included were these 4 serving spoons. I don't know if I'm in the right section, I just remember something about hallmarks having a lion, or jester, with a crown as being English. The hallmarks are very large, and I'm pretty sure they are quite old. They are over 2 ounces a piece. Also, it looks like one has different initials (or the others are faded, see last pic). Any help, and information, would be incredibly appreciated. What's the age range? Is it a sought after maker? Thank you all!

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Large Serving Spoons - Very old English? Help!

Post by silvermakersmarks »

These are London spoons so you have posted in the right section. The hallmarks show the lion passant for sterling silver, the crowned leopard's head for London and the London date letter O for the assay year 1769/70. All 4 spoons seem to have the same date letter. I believe that the mark showing T over G is most likely to be the unknown makers TE over GS. The other recognisable mark is that of the well-known spoon makers, Thomsa & William Chawner.

Phil
Tipton444

Re: Large Serving Spoons - Very old English? Help!

Post by Tipton444 »

Wow, thank you so much Phil. That is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. -Eric

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “London Hallmarks”