A Thomas Wallis spoon? 1779

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

A Thomas Wallis spoon? 1779

Post by Granmaa »

Here is a once nice serving spoon, unfortunately, it has been repaired badly.
There are a few things I'd like to know about it:
Is it 1779? Is there any special name for the pattern on the handle? Is it possible that the maker was Thomas Wallis? I've included a picture of one of his spoons, notice the similarly thin third line on the W and bear in mind there is a ten year difference between them so they won't be completely identical; I've scanned through Jackson's pocket edition, and there doesn't seem to be another maker of this period with this type of W.
Also, there are some marks on the handle; I've polished it a few times and no change. Does anyone know what these are and how to remove them?
Thankyou,
Granmaa

From another Thomas Wallis spoon (1769).

The troublesome marks.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Does the spoon with just the W on it have a monarchs head (duty mark) please? Best wishes, MIke.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Mike

No, it doesn't; I'm pretty sure it's 1779 and so too early.

Miles

PS I've left yet another message on my other spoon for you.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

In that case I would concur with your date and possibly Thomas Wallis...although I am not sure when George Wintle 'started' having his work assayed....might be a challenge for you to research him as a possibility. He was also a prolific spoonmaker, although he might have been slightly later than your spoon. Best wishes, Mike.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thanks for your help Mike. You are right, Jackson's says George Wintle started in the first quarter of the 19th.
Is there anything you can suggest for the marks on the spoon?

Miles
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

If at some point it has been sellotaped or similar to something then turpentine or turps substitute will remove it. Try it anyway but wash off with soap and water when the job is done. Best wishes, Mike.
PS with spoons or solid silver items that need cleaning, washing off with washing up liquid and water and a soft cloth will get them clean....silver polish is not always needed.

Return to “London Hallmarks”