fish knife london maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
modemgirlz

fish knife london maker

Post by modemgirlz »

I would like to know if anyone knows the maker of this fish knife it's marked with GN. From looking at the British marks on the front page, it's from London, and the date is c. 1800. It does have a crowned leopard. Thanks for your help
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/17/silver.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/17/silver_009.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I would hesitantly suggest George Natter - mark is quite similar (Jacksons page 219), mark entered in 1773, no record of last mention so quite possible that he was still around in 1800.

Waylander
nigel le sueur
contributor

Post by nigel le sueur »

Not sure about Natter,he entered 3 marks on the 7th April 1773 (must admit very similar) however his name also appears in the register in partnership with Cornelius Bland at the same address without the impression of any mark and a note next to Blands name "out of trade" Heals record Natter as a plateworker 1773-8 and he appears as a bankrupt. There is a mark which is also very similar and that is of George Nangle a smallworker who entered his mark on the 30/10/1797 and he was working up to 1818 so very possible his mark.
Nigel
modemgirlz

Maker

Post by modemgirlz »

Thank you Nigel,
It does sound like that could be him. I appreciate your help and time. I do realize it's hard to research some of these old marks. May I ask where you got your infomation from, Jackson? Thank you again Nigel and waylander :) Kristina
nigel le sueur
contributor

Post by nigel le sueur »

The most info l get is from "Grimwades" for London the full version of Jacksons is very good for provincial makers and marks,also "Fallons"

Nigel
modemgirlz

books

Post by modemgirlz »

nigel, thanks for your reply. I will look into those books! I have heard that Jacksons is a good one.
Kristina

Return to “London Hallmarks”