Small English Sterling Oval Footed Bowl - Salt Cellar?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
raibos

Small English Sterling Oval Footed Bowl - Salt Cellar?

Post by raibos »

It's a small-ish oval form with raised ends, footed, about 4" long, 2 1/4" wide, and 2 1/2" tall at the ends. Is it a salt cellar / master salt? Also, I'm trying to ID the mark -- are marks always oriented in the same direction? I'm assuming it is SM but but it would also be a fine WS if flipped. I'd guess Sampson Mordan based on the date but no dot and I can't find a similar form. W Spurrier & Co? As always, any help appreciated.

Waylander
co-admin

Re: Small English Sterling Oval Footed Bowl - Salt Cellar?

Post by Waylander »

Hi

Date - I may be off the mark here (and if so, someone will correct me!), but you've got a Crowned Leopard Head - so we'd have to be looking pre 1822 - and specifically I think 1784 (29 May to 30 November, because there is no duty mark?). Think Sampson Mordan may be a bit too late in date?

Maker - It is always confusing when the maker's mark can be read when inverted! Generally, I tend to assume (if I have nothing else to go on) that the mark was stamped in the same manner as the date letter, Lion Passant etc. A possibility (no more) may be Samuel Meriton II, who was working in this period (although the mark I have seen for him isn't exactly the same, the S and M are closer together). Anyway, I don't have a copy of Grimwade, someone else may be able to provide further guidance.

Cheers

Waylander
raibos

Post by raibos »

Hello Waylander. I missed that crown on the leopard detail because I was reading the date as 1904. That's embarrassing. After looking at the correct date range I'm thinking maybe William Skeen?
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

William Skeen is another possibility, assuming the maker's mark was punched on an inverted basis from the assay office marks.

Cheers

Waylander

Return to “London Hallmarks”