Georgian Goblet

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
moonshine

Georgian Goblet

Post by moonshine »

Hello All. I have a question regarding this Goblet. It's fully marked, date 1808 I believe, but no Maker's Mark anywhere. Is this very uncommon?
In my research I didn't see one with hexagon base either.
It's 6 3/8 inches high, and weighs 310 grams. I appreciate any thoughts about this. Thank You.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Georgian Goblet

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Solder lines look suspicious (soft lead tin solder?).Inspect them everywhere with the tip of a needle, cannot damage silver. Or a drop of acid, will turn soft solder black within a second.Pay attention to the base,particularly solder line above the marks.

moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Hello. Thank you for your reply.
I used a pin to try and chip away soft solder and dropped some acid on it twice. Turned a nice creamy color, and I didn't get any chips with the pin. The black you do see in the pics is just reflection.
But I am no expert on this, so I polished it and took some new pictures. What do you think?

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Well, it seems to be hard soldered but still very spurious with one of essential marks missing. Solder line is spurious, too, having visible flaws. The cup is not very consistent with George III early 19th century.
This London 1808 goblet emerged in West Midlands, no maker`s mark, almost the same decoration and spurious solder line. It was estimated and offered at the fraction of the price for fully marked George III goblets of the same period.
An excellent article on spurious British silver is here:
http://www.925-1000.com/a_Spurious1899.html
This is my opinion and I may be wrong.
Best wishes

Return to “London Hallmarks”