Ned help in identifying a plate

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
iindica

Ned help in identifying a plate

Post by iindica »

I am new to this forum. Need help in identifying this plate (most likely silver-plated or pewter)

X
X
Thanks.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Ned help in identifying a plate

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Here's some good news...your plate is solid sterling silver. It was made in London during the Reign of King George III and the date letter appears to the 'h' corresponding to 1763. I'm unable to help with a maker as the mark looks too rubbed to be of use.

One of our wonderful Admin people will shortly move this to the British - London sterling silver section but you could possibly find out some information about the crest if you create another post in the Family Crest section under Miscellaneous Silver Subjects.

Cheers,
Steve
iindica

Re: Need help in identifying a plate

Post by iindica »

Thank you Steve. That was very helpful. Based on your leads, I did some more research and it seems that the 3rd mark is London Assay Office mark.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Ned help in identifying a plate

Post by dognose »

The worn maker's mark that Steve referred too, would have been the mark struck higher than the other three, the one on the extreme right of your mark image.

Please remember in future posts to keep your images to within the 7" (18cm) width limits.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”