FISH SLICE. UNUSUAL MARK?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jmaps23

FISH SLICE. UNUSUAL MARK?

Post by jmaps23 »

HI ALL ,

I HAVE A FISH SERVER THAT HAS AN UNUSUAL HALLMARK TO THE HANDLE, IT APPEARS TO BE CROWN SHAPED WITH SOME LETTERING UNDERNEATH. I ASSUME ITS NOT A MAKERS MARK AS THERE ANOTHER ONE PRESENT AND IT ISN'T A MATCH FOR THE MARK TO THE BLADE. ANY HELP IN IDENTIFYING IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANKS JAMES
Image Image
AG2012
contributor

Re: FISH SLICE. UNUSUAL MARK?

Post by AG2012 »

jmaps23

Post by jmaps23 »

HI ,

Yes there does seem to be an issue with the uploading process, although there is a chance it maybe my laptop. The slice has a full set of London hallmarks to the blade , dating it 1792. i will try and get the rest of the photos on today. thanks for your help
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi,

AG2012 may be correct however I wouldn't dismiss British marks just yet. Agreed they are not typical, but the crown over a letter was the alternative format used at the Sheffield assay Office between 1780 and 1822 usually on small items. Although very difficult to identify the letter, my best guess is that it is one of the earlier gothic series of 1780 to 1798.

The makers mark looks to be upside down and reads something like "WG" over "&" ? .

I don't know of a Sheffield maker who's mark would be a fit, and I could be completely wrong about all of the above, but thought it might be somewhere to start.

Cheers,
Steve
jmaps23

Post by jmaps23 »

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay in reply...

your appear to have out me on the right track . I have matched a makers mark to William Green & co who were registered in Sheffield in 1784 and I believe the date letter on the slice is 1788 which would tie in with the dates of the maker ...so appears the mystery has been solved.

Thank you both for your replies,

Regards

James
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi James,

I did nearly suggest William Green & Co as they were Sheffield cutlers and silver plate manufacturers. The only problem was I couldn't find a registered silver makers mark and found the following reference stating the Sheffield Assay Office didn't have a record of one:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18330

Could you advise where you found your info please?

Thanks,
Steve
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I think what may have thrown Mike in his reply to that original topic,was that William Green's mark is shown, for some unknown reason, in the register in reverse:

It should have been recorded thus:

The registration for William Green & Co. (William Green and Robert Sporle) was made on the 26th August 1784.

It would appear to me that this slice is a later marriage.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
So, we have London and Sheffield marks. The handle must have been replaced (it`s not soldered, visible joint, probably fixed with colophony resin). Those hollow handles when damaged are beyond repair.
I could not identify ``BT`` in London.
Regards

Return to “London Hallmarks”