Geo Adams/Chawner&Co Spoon Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ttroutt7

Geo Adams/Chawner&Co Spoon Identification

Post by ttroutt7 »

I am a new member of the forum....excited to find the resource....thanks in advance for your input

These two spoons are marked GA and appear to have George Adams /Chawner makers marks....I cannot determine what is at the head of the spoon,,,figure in robe with staff and orb....a shell like bowl being held up by a native figure front and back including belling button and posterior ...head of native...so, I have no idea what the spoon represents, what it was used for, and the time it was made...I preliminary look suggest the 1840 mark but not positive...If the surrounds on the GA are circles then not so sure could be later...not sure what the crown on back of bowl represents...thank you...Harry
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Geo Adams/Chawner&Co Spoon Identification

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Welcome to the forum, Harry.

Although you have not given any dimensions for the spoons they look as if they are fairly small. I therefore think that they may be salt spoons. The figure with the staff is probably an apostle, maybe St James, who is traditionally depicted with a pilgrim's staff. Exactly what the figures next to the bowl are meant to represent I have no idea. The crown on the back of the bowl would have been added by the original owner and may be some form of family identification.

The maker's mark definitely appears to be that of George Adams of Chawner & Co but it is not possible to make out the date letter from your picture as it is too blurred. Another picture of the mark taken from further away so that it is in focus would help.

Phil
ttroutt7

Post by ttroutt7 »

Thank you for your response...The spoons are 4 3/4" in length and weigh .7 oz or 19 grams...The bowl is 1" in diameter...I'll work on getting a better pic of the maker's mark...H
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
In 1856 – 1875 sequence I think we should concentrate on letters ``d`` ``b`` and ``h``.

Regards

Return to “London Hallmarks”