1648 Charles I English Silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

1648 Charles I English Silver

Post by neurorocker »

Anyone know what the purpose of this item is and the maker of this item? English and crisply dated to 1648-9. I found the mark in one of my books, but could not find the attribution of it.

agphile
contributor

Re: 1648 Charles I English Silver

Post by agphile »

This has been altered. You do not mention the size, but I suspect it started life as a wine taster. Some well meaning vandal, perhaps in the 19th century, decided it would be of more use as a cream jug so added a pouring lip, a new and different handle and feet.

Versions of the maker's mark are recorded on various flatware items between 1646 and1658 (revised Jackson's Silver Marks) but I don't think anybody has identified a name.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

I have dug out this photo of a small mid 17th century wine taster that I have to give you a comparison.Image
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Excellent observation by agphile. There is no doubt about wine taster being altered.
Pay attention to pouring lip solder line.

Regards
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

A correction to a slip of the typing finger. In my initial reply I said the mark had been noted on flatware, I should have typed hollow ware. I can only plead that, as a spoon collector, I am less accustomed to typing "hollow" and automatic pilot took over.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Sigh... Thanks to you both for astutely noting the alterations to this tastevin. I have to confess when I was reading about the origins of coffee and tea in England I was struggling to figure out what you would have poured from this pitcher in 1648. I was hoping for sauce boat, but you've found the simpler though less satisfying explanation. I'll tell myself that the tastevin was damaged and the spout added to salvage it! That will help me sleep better tonight. I didn't give the dimensions which are totally consistent with the tastevin explanation: 3.5" wide x 3.5" tall with those cloven hooves x 4.5" handle to spout.

I guess the final question with something like this where the damage is so grave is: does it retain any value to a collector or has that been fully depleted? I can't see any way it could be restored, as good as my silversmiths are here in Washington.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
It cannot be restored;piece of silver was cut off. Legs can be removed.I`m not sure if the handle is genuine (most probably not) to be copied, cast and placed on the other side. Too much trouble unless it`s intended to deceive a potential buyer. You will always know what it was.
Even Victorian engraving and embossed decoration of older silver decreases the value significantly, and let alone this taster being completely altered.
Keep it as a piece of history and enjoy it.
regards
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

I figured on all counts. Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom. I really appreciate it.

Return to “London Hallmarks”