Abstinando King Dishes?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Abstinando King Dishes?

Post by niceguy1 »

HI

I have recently purchased this pair of salt dishes? I have seen this London 1802 mark AK attributed to Abstinando King, do you agree?

Interestingly one is marked on the side of the base & the other underneath. I was also wondering what kind of use would cause such extensive scratching.

They measure 9 cm across & 6 cm tall & weigh a hefty 162 grams. One bowl still has remnants of the gilding.

Thanks In Advance

agphile
contributor

Re: Abstinando King Dishes?

Post by agphile »

Yes, I agree on the maker.

Salt is very corrosive if left in contact with silver. I would think the scars are the marks of such corrosion and of vigorous attempts to get rid of it.

Interesting to see a pair marked so differently but I'm afraid I don't have any intelligent explanation or observation to offer. I am not even sure where salt cellars were most commonly marked at this date.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I believe the difference in markings has something to do with the "Octagonal Base," I have noticed the same phenomenon with creamers by Hester Bateman with the Octagonal Base. Sometimes you see the creamers side-marked, and sometimes you see the creamers with the hallmarks on the bottom of the base. I have no explanation either, and I always found it strange. This instance is a bit stranger, given the pair of salt cellars which are hallmarked in different places, you would think the assay master would choose the same place to mark objects of an identical nature.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

The maker's mark is applied first before the piece is submitted for assay so it would seem the differing placement of the marks started in King's workshop.

Return to “London Hallmarks”