A new acquisition... but who made it?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

A new acquisition... but who made it?

Post by rynegold »

"CF" is the maker... can't find'em in our list. The year "looks like" (to me that is) 1821? And it's a conglomeration of motifs: I love the boar's head but think the finial is perhaps off of another piece? A nice pot none the less no? You should have seen it before I went to work on it!, and there's still lots to be done. I bought a lot of other nice pieces I have questions about but I'll post them separately so's dognose doesn't scold me!

Compliments and regards,
mitch
geldner

Re: A new acquisition... but who made it?

Post by geldner »

buckler

Post by buckler »

The obvious candidate is Charles Fox I.
However it's a very late piece for him, as the item was made in 1821/82 during which period his son registered his first mark on 19 February 1822 and is believed to have taken over.
Grimwade No 301 is that of Charles I- which seems to match nicely. But I would not rule out the use by Charles II of his father's old punches for several months or even years after his retirement . Both were plateworkers
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The below teapot is nice, but the level of detail and ostentatious naturalistic details has decreased, but this might just be the fashion of the time...

I guess we might never know for sure which Charles Fox made this teapot, but by the looks of my teapot, Charles Fox II was firmly rooted to his father's designs, so there we have it. My guess would be that Charles Fox Senior made the teapot from 1822. But that is only a best guess.
geldner

Post by geldner »

I'm not sure why the insistence on attributing the piece to Charles Fox (either one). Here's a teapot by Crispin Fuller (1820) with what looks to me like the same mark as the OP. Note that the OP's mark appears to be in a rounded rectangle while Fox's marks are all in very obvious ovals. There are other examples of Fuller's work and marks floating around the interwebs but they are certainly few and far between.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

My teapot came with a slip of paper that read "Charles Fox" + "London" + "1838" and I suppose I never closely analyzed the Cartouche.

That is the second time I have found an old antiques card that had a mis-attribution of silver.

I found teapots attributed to Charles Fox which had a similar "folded leaf" motif on the handle, and the body, like my example has on the handle...

I am not disputing your attribution, I just didn't research the Cartouche enough to realize the subtle differences, I really don't know which one it is.....
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

I don't think it is quite so simple. Charles Fox I entered a mark in 1804 (Grimwade 301) that to me looks not dissimilar to the Crispin Fuller marks. The oval marks are for Charles Fox II from 1822 on. I wouldn't like to swear whether the OP has a Fuller or a Fox I item, but Aguest's piece seems to be by Fox II.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The shape of the Cartouche in the New Acquisition by rynegold seems very similar to the shape of my Cartouche by Charles Fox II....

Just given the overall style, I am leaning towards Charles Fox for the new acquisition, but I do not know for certain....
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

A closer look at the details of the decorations of the teapot by Charles Fox II which might help someone in the present or the future:

Return to “London Hallmarks”