Is this spoon English?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Is this spoon English?

Post by joho »

Hi All
I am trying to identify where this teaspoon was made and if possible who the maker might be. The shape of the spoon is typical English Hanoverian and I would say it dates 1740/50. However - the front of the stem has a reeded edge and there is a moulded leaf? design at the end of the handle and there is an engraved crest below this of a griffin emerging from a crown. There is a tapering groove all the way down the back of the stem and hence no space for hallmarks. There is a maker's mark only, stamped to the drop on the back of the bowl - possibly IS below a crown. Hoping it may be English, but could be European. Many thanks!!

mk209
contributor

Re: Is this spoon English?

Post by mk209 »

I’ve not seen this pattern before it’s an interesting spoon for sure. The family crest would indicate it was owned by a family in UK/Ireland but hopefully somebody much more knowledgeable will help further. The position of the makers mark is unusual for a UK spoon too but then anything is possible.

Matt
joho
contributor

Re: Is this spoon English?

Post by joho »

Yes - it is the crest that mainly makes me inclined to think it is English. However there are also examples of decorated Hanoverian spoons with thread stems from 1st half 18th century, I think mainly by Huguenot silversmiths. I did wonder about John le Sage as he has marks IS below a crown, but none of his marks exactly match the mark on this spoon. As you say, hopefully, someone with more knowledge will help further.

John

Return to “London Hallmarks”