George IV Silver Gilt Bowl by Edward Farrell- Possibly from Duke of York Collection?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Buttrflygrl617

George IV Silver Gilt Bowl by Edward Farrell- Possibly from Duke of York Collection?

Post by Buttrflygrl617 »

Hi,
I have had my Farrell Sterling bowl for many years now and have always known it was very special but wondering if it could have been part of Prince Frederick's collection. During my recent searches I found that Prince Frederick, The Duke of York obtained 34 bowls by Farrell like this one all with different quotes that he purchased from Kensington Lewis. His entire collection was sold by Christie's auction in 1827. Can anyone tell me if there's an archive or records showing the silver items that was sold during the 1827 auction? Any suggestions on how I can find out whether my bowl was part of the collection/auction in 1827?
thanks!

Aguest
contributor

Re: George IV Silver Gilt Bowl by Edward Farrell- Possibly from Duke of York Collection?

Post by Aguest »

I can't quite see the entire family crest (coat-of-arms), but does this object bear the family crest for Prince Frederick, the Duke of York? ::
I think there is a family crest (coat-of-arms) there with a crown overhead, but I can't see the entirety of it ::
Maybe there is a technical term for a Royal Family Crest, or coat-of-arms, but I do not know the proper terminology ::
Buttrflygrl617

Re: George IV Silver Gilt Bowl by Edward Farrell- Possibly from Duke of York Collection?

Post by Buttrflygrl617 »

Thank you for the link to the catalog. Unfortunately it was not much help in the way it was constructed and written. Hopefully there's more information on Mr. Farrell and this collection of bowls out there to find.
Best,
Jamie
Buttrflygrl617

Post by Buttrflygrl617 »

Can you tell me where you think you are seeing the family crest on the bowl so I can get better photos? I am not seeing this or just overlooking it.
Best
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

in the very first picture, there is a shield with a crown over it I believe they're referring to. The bowl is gorgeous regardless of provenance!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The Unicorn's Hoof is kicking a gold-gilt post, and next to that post there is an image of a crown on top of a shield with various images within the shield, that might be a clue to the identity of the royal-family person who commissioned the creation of the bowl :::

It seems obvious that this bowl is very special, the level of detail is very specific and the quality is very high :::: Just a great object and thank you for allowing us to see it ::
Buttrflygrl617

Post by Buttrflygrl617 »

Just wanted to update those of you who have been so kind in helping me learn the history of my collection. It has been verified that is in fact 1 bowl of 34 like bowls all with different inscriptions made by Edward Farrell that was in the Prince Frederick, Duke of York's collection that sold at auction in 1827. I have owned this wonderful bowl for many many years now and purchased it from an estate in the US. I bought it for the same reason I buy all of my antique pieces, I adore the detailing and craftsmanship of the piece. I'm sure that I tried to locate the maker back then, but I didn't know of this wonderful site at the time or it had not been created. I had never planned to part with my precious pieces but sometimes we get sick and have to use things we cherish to try and get healthy again when finances won't allow us to any other way. That being said, this site and the fantastic people who created it, maintain it and help others when visiting are all exceptional historians and do this world a great service by keeping these special artist's legacies alive so that their works of art can be saved from the greed of melting and never be forgotten!
I am so appreciative for all the help you have given me and for the passion you have for your pieces of history. Never change and continue to teach new generations just how special and important these pieces are to our cultures.
Best Regards,

Return to “London Hallmarks”