Maker of basting spoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
juantotree
contributor

Maker of basting spoon.

Post by juantotree »

Hi

This 1874 Queens pattern basting spoon has a clear set of marks, other than the maker's mark which appears to have been deliberately defaced. I would welcome ay suggestions for possible candidates.

Many Thanks
Martin

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Maker of basting spoon.

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Martin,

HL over HL for Henry Lias and Son. See https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Mak ... HR.html#HL

Cheers,
Steve
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I did look at the Henry Lias options as the first set of initials is most likely HL. However I am struggling to interpret the 2nd letter in the other initials as being an L, it looks to me more like an S.

Martin
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Martin,

Wait and see what Phil thinks but I'm very comfortable with it as an L. Also the cartouche is very distinctive and a good match.
Steve
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Steve,

I agree wholeheartedly re the cartouche. I am beginning to wonder if the second initials are an amphersand and S, which could mean & Son. Maybe Lias decided not to use this and opted for the double HL instead. Also the way it as been defaced is quite professional, they have deliberately avoided damaging the cartouche shape.

Martin
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

There is certainly a resemblance to "HL" over "&S". However I think that the resemblance is just due to the way that the defacing has been done. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any other marks of this period which have exactly this shape so I would definitely go for "HL" over "HL".

Phil
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Phil

I have looked at the mark under a strong loupe, all the letters are still raised, I can't possibly see how this could ever have been a letter L, I am now almost certain it is an S.

Martin
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

If that is so then here is a possible explanation. Originally makers' marks had to consist of the initials of the name of the silversmith so HL over &S may not have been an approved form. If Lias & Son decided that they wanted a mark of that sort, produced the punch and then found that the Assay Office refused to register it they would have had to deface any instances already used. This is pure speculation of course....

Phil

Return to “London Hallmarks”