Lion passant, maker's mark but no town mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Lion passant, maker's mark but no town mark

Post by silverfan »

I have 6 big knives, 6 big forks, 6 dessert knives and 6 dessert forks which bear the Lion Passant and a maker's mark "DD", some of the small handles bear, I think, a different maker's mark which I could not identify (see photos). On the blade I read "Preis T & Co, 225 Oxford Street, London.
In the list of London makres i could not find a maker "DD".
The flatware could be old, perhaps 18th century. Does anybody know the crest which i cannot explain neither.
Regards silverfan

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Lion passant, maker's mark but no town mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Silverfan,

See Dru Drury II here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&p=106898

Trev.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Trev., thank you.
Dru Drury II (strange name for my ears) was obviously a man with some more interests than silversmithing.
Member MCB wrote: Drury left the management to his son William in 1789. At another place I could read that he retired from silversmithing in order to devote more time to entomology. So I can date my flatware before 1789 or even earlier?
How can I find the family belonging to the crest?
Silver from him is apparently rare, because I found no eBay-offer.
Regards silverfan
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Silverfan,

I'm unsure when the Drury business closed, but his retirement is not necessarily an indicator that his mark would no longer be used, and may well have used for some years after if, although no longer active, the business was still in his name. The business was a prolific one, but perhaps the reason that much of his work is often not identified is the nature of the product. The marks on knife-hafts often smooth out over the years to a degree that most are not identifiable.

I see you have posted the question of the engraving in the 'Family Crests' section of the forum.

Trev.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

I add a new photo after having cleaned and polished the canteen. When seeing the forks first I thought that the prongs were chromium plated. They are not marked. But when cleaning I got the feeling that they are solid silver. Was it not prescribed to mark front parts which could be separated from the haft?
Regards silverfan
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Silverfan,

Could the forks be Sheffield-plated?

Trev.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Trev.,
a completely new idea for me. You mean made in the technics of Boulsover? The prongs are not 'bleeding'. How can I recognize if plated without x-ray test? Even on the tips of the prongs I couldn't discover traces of wear and tear which point to a plating. The outer tips of the prongs are slightly shorter. A normal result when using solid silver forks for a longer time.
Had the prongs to be marked when solid silver?
Regards silverfan
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

My apologies silverfan, I mean't to say close-plated. If they were close-plated, then a magnet would identify the underneath steel.

As to whether silver fork blades should be marked, I'm unsure for this period, there were different policies at different times. Later indeed there would have been a case for marking, but at this time..... More research is needed, but another member may be aware.

Trev.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

The front parts of the forks are not magnetic. To be on the safe side, later I'll do a x-ray test.
Regards silverfan
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

I just made the x-ray test. Result: 94% silver. So the prongs are sterling.
In my first post I wrote that the inscription on the blades would read "Preis T & Co". Right is: PREIST & Co. I found this company in the Internet but not the foundation date. I believe the blades not to be original but replaced in the 19th century. Can anybody confirm that?
Regards silverfan

Return to “London Hallmarks”