17th/18th century tankard?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke
contributor

17th/18th century tankard?

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I am puzzled with this date letter which I believe would be from 17th/18th century and probably from London. As seen the tankard itself is clearly old so the tankard could easily be estimated to be from the time or is it a historism type of product. Any other markings I have not been able to trace which could have been worn out.

Regards,
Juke
dognose
Site Admin

Re: 17th/18th century tankard?

Post by dognose »

Hi Juke,

Please post a close-up of the other marks.

Trev.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi Trev,

Missed somehow the rest of markings in the engravings so here they are. The first shown mark must be an owners mark (?) and it is in the handle.

Do I estimate correctly the tankard to be from 1689-90 or are the markings later? If so impressed by the fact that haven't had a 17th century tankard before.

Can additionally mention that it is wholly gilded. Any idea of the maker?

Regards,
Juke

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think that you are right in thinking that the tankard dates from 1689. The maker's mark, a script D in a punch with a blip at the bottom and 2 "ears" at the top, has been noted by Jackson with dates ranging from 1685 to 1696, but without identification. I suspect that the repoussé work may be a later addition.

Phil
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

According to David Mitchell's book " Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London," Issac Dighton is the most likely maker but it is not known for certain. On pages 265 -267 this mark is discussed with few pictural examples.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Thank you both for the confirmation of the time period and also for the most likely maker, nice to know these for a certainty.

As for the repoussé work so it would have been made maybe in the 19th century when it was more fashionable for these works, part of the history of the tankard even that it is a later work.

Thanks once again,
Juke

Return to “London Hallmarks”