London, George II silver bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MargoMcP

London, George II silver bowl

Post by MargoMcP »

Maker's mark is P.G. and I know it's something like Phillip "Gardner" but I can't read it. Anyone know who he is? Sorry I suck at photography. I have grandparents back 6 generations who were married in London in 1751 and I suspect it was a wedding present?

Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

That would be Phillips Garden (active in London mid 18th century). Fine technician, he acquired and used Paul de Lamerie's casting pattenrs after 1752 (these pieces being the most sought after, you may have one).

Waylander
MargoMcP

Post by MargoMcP »

Thanks, Waylander. I'm into genealogy and it's kind of fun when one has something that old that's personal. I'm trying to figure out it's history within my family as all I have now is that scrap of paper and no one alive to remember anything more.

My great grandfather was Frank Cantrell Cardin who came over to the US as an older teen from London to Minnesota with his brother in 1873 and I got his birth record from England as well as his parents, Richard and Margaret Cardin's marriage record. Richard Cardin's suspected grandfather, another Richard Cardin, married a Sarah Cantrell at St. George's Chapel, Hyde Park, July 15, 1751 (hence the suspicion since I have the known Frank Cantrell name) and I know Frank's father Richard was fairly well-to-do and this other Richard's suspected son (also Richard) was a prominent lawyer so new/commissioned silver bowls wouldn't have been out of the question for wedding gifts.

But there's an unknown inscription on the bowl too from after Frank got here in the US. He and his brother brought mother Margaret over between their coming alone in 1873 and the 1880 Minnesota census where she appears. Father (and older brother) Richard was dead (and brother didn't come over). If the bowl was handed down I suspect Margaret brought it over. There were daughters but they came over here too and appear to have been unmarried and though Frank was the younger brother, he had the Cantrell name so I imagine that's why he got the bowl. But I'm just trying to figure out what happened, picking up clues here and there and it's a fun occupation:

Return to “London Hallmarks”