cigarette box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fripou

cigarette box

Post by fripou »

hello

I am at my perents and try to identify their silver

here is a box made in London in 1917 ; can you please tell me by whom, and if this ia a "good" silversmith?

Thanks in advance
François
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Date is right. Makers are Mappin & Webb, very large manufacturers. Mappin & Webb were established in 1797, but it was not until the late 19th Century that they emerged as one of the largest manufacturers and retailers of silver in the UK. In the late 19th Century two branches of the Mappin family competed: Mappin & Webb and Mappin Brothers, before joining forces in 1902 when Mappin & Webb bought the controlling interest from the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company Ltd..

Mappin & Webb, as a subsidiary of Sears Holdings Ltd., acquired J W Benson Ltd., Ollivant & Botsford and the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company Ltd. amongst a list of many others. In the early 1960’s, they combined with Walker & Hall and Elkington & Co, and are still active today as retailers under the auspices of British Silverware Ltd. They produced large quantities of machine-made flatware in both silver and EPNS. Quality is that which is expected from such a large maker.

Waylander

Return to “London Hallmarks”