Why does this 1935 piece have a sovereign head? What is this piece? And was this piece sand-cast?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverCockroach

Why does this 1935 piece have a sovereign head? What is this piece? And was this piece sand-cast?

Post by silverCockroach »

Found this (candy dish?) at a thrift store admin edit read our forum rules

Here is a close-up of the hallmarks on the bottom of the lid:

And here is a picture of the piece itself (unfortunately the rim of the crystal is chipped):

The lid is about 3 and 7/16ths inches wide, and weighs exactly 1 ounce.

I am curious about:

Why does this 1935 item have a sovereign head stamp? (and is it meant to be King George V)? Was this piece sand casted and just left rough on the inside? As I have never seen a piece of silver so rough as that. Is it possible it's a fake?What exactly is this item in your opinion? Is it a candy dish? Or a makeup/powder dish?admin edit
Last edited by oel on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
oel
co-admin

Re: Why does this 1935 piece have a sovereign head? What is this piece? And was this piece sand-cast?

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum.

Not a duty mark but an optional mark, the heads of George V & Princess Victoria Mary for the George V 25 year jubilee (1936/7).
CSG & Co maker's mark for: Charles S Green & Co Ltd (registered Jan 1904), year letter L for 1935-36
George V cut or molded glass, English sterling silver dressing table jar, part of a set.

Best,

Oel
silverCockroach

Re: Why does this 1935 piece have a sovereign head? What is this piece? And was this piece sand-cast?

>Hi welcome to the forum.

Thank you, I feel welcome :)

>Not a duty mark but an optional mark, the heads of George V & Princess Victoria Mary for the George V 25 year jubilee (1936/7).

Interesting! So it's definitely from 1936 then? And more specifically, January 1st to January 20th 1936? As King George V died on the 20th of January, 1936. Or was the optional mark stamped for the entire year of 1936?

Also... I can't tell... is that the George V mark then or the Princess Victoria Mary mark? Because I can't really tell if that's a male or female depicted in the last mark.

Admin edit read forum rules Posting Requirements "D" monogram make it kind of worthless (like most monogrammed/personalized stuff today).
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The jubilee mark is a double portrait of George V & Princess Victoria Mary used from 1934-1936 seen in combination with year letters K and L ;

Some people say a monogram reduces the value ( personalized silver). I can appreciate monograms .

Oel.
silverCockroach

Thank you very much, Oel.

I learnt a lot!

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”