CPB makers mark (Charles Penny Brown?) but no city stamp - fake?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Re: CPB makers mark (Charles Penny Brown?) but no city stamp - fake?

Post by dognose »

The business of Charles P. Brown and Charles P. Brown & Sons was still in existence at at least 1920:

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, Charles Brown, Arthur Brown and Sidney
George Brown, carrying on business as Silversmiths and Manufacturers and Importers of Fancy Leather Goods, at 6, 8 and 10, New Charles-street, Goswell-road, London, E.C. 1, under the style or firm of "CHARLES P. BROWN " and "CHARLES P. BROWN AND SONS," has been dissolved by mutual
consent as from the eighth day of May, 1920. All debts due and owing to or by the said late firm will be received or paid by the said Charles Brown and Arthur Brown; and such business will be carried on in the future by the said Charles Brown and Arthur Brown, under the style or firm of " Charles P. Brown " and " Charles P. Brown & Sons."—As witness our hands this 13th day of May, 1920.
CHARLES BROWN.
ARTHUR BROWN.
S. G. BROWN.

Source: The London Gazette - 18th May 1920

Trev.
Nvntivs

Post by Nvntivs »

dognose wrote:The business of Charles P. Brown and Charles P. Brown & Sons was still in existence at at least 1920:
Source: The London Gazette - 18th May 1920

Trev.
So we have the latest date for this maker. And at least acc. to this page, the 1895 seems to be the first year for him?
http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Make ... CZ.html#CP

Well, this is why I like the antique englisch items so much. One can almost always point a finger on the exact maker, the place and the year, with a little more effort you can most of the time find even particular details and so on...
All this turnes a simple silvern piece to something special, giving it a sort of life.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Advance that by another two years, they exhibited at the British Industries Fair of 1922.

Trev.
Nvntivs

Post by Nvntivs »

dognose wrote:Advance that by another two years, they exhibited at the British Industries Fair of 1922.

Trev.
I still wonder why the stamp of my wallet has additionally to the CPB the "5"... Do you have an idea what this could mean?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Perhaps a misshapen 'S' (Charles P. Brown & Sons) due to a damaged punch?

Trev.
Malm

Post by Malm »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Charles Penny Brown, Birmingham, made leather goods (e.g. purses, wallets). I suppose the item you found is a clasp that was riveted to leather (three holes). There is a possibility this was not the only silver part and the anchor mark was elsewhere.
Cheers
Hi, I have just typed in CPB in a search and have found this thread. I also have found a small silver item marked CPB (anchor, date letter, Lion) whilst detecting, is it ok to post here and just wondering if it will it require a image hosting site for my image, thanks.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi Malm and welcome to the forum.

Please start a new topic for your find - and yes, you will need to upload your images to a hosting site. Please embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

https://postimages.org (copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Both sites allow your images to be resized during upload.

Phil

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”