Help with Date & Item (SECOND ATTEMPT)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
G Lo

Help with Date & Item (SECOND ATTEMPT)

Post by G Lo »

New here, so I apologize if I don't follow protocol completely. (I already messed up once trying to post...the images didn't show!)

I found these items while cleaning out my mother's house after selling it. I believe I have identified the marks as indicating Miller Brothers and Birmingham. Is that correct? Can anyone tell me the year? Also, does anyone know what the heck these things are? The tops come off if that helps. :-)

Thank you in advance for the help!
AG2012
contributor

Re: Help with Date & Item (SECOND ATTEMPT)

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Depends on size;Salt & Pepper Shakers if small, if taller could be sugar castors (less probably).
Miller Brothers are the makers but M Bros was also used by another firm as far as I can tell.
The year is 1902.
I`m sure there will be responses by people more familiar with Birmingham silver.
regards
G Lo

Post by G Lo »

Thank you, AG2012. They are 3 1/4" tall, so not unreasonable that they are salt & pepper shakers (I had thought that as a possibility), though the holes seems maybe a little too large for that. Is it possible they were intended to hold some kind of potpourri or something similar?
spobby
contributor

Post by spobby »

Casters* of that size and of that period would normally be used for spices, e.g. pepper/cinnamon/ground nutmeg etc., and would have been part of a set of casters leading up to the larger sugar caster.
I would suggest that salt would only be served from glass lined or gilt silver bowl.
Just an opinion
Best
John L
G Lo

Post by G Lo »

Thank you, John L. Very helpful.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”