Dutch silver picture frame with dolphin mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Adam.NYC

Dutch silver picture frame with dolphin mark

Post by Adam.NYC »

I was wondering if anyone has seen a picture frame like this? It has the dolphin mark and another illegible mark (which I will post). I assume it is Dutch from the 19th Century. It is very hard to get a photo of the mark other than the dolphin. I thought maybe someone would recognize it.

I am really wondering why this frame has a handle? It hangs on the wall, too. I thought maybe it was originally a hand mirror frame? Anyone care to guess or tell me more about it? Your input is always appreciated! -Adam

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch silver picture frame with dolphin mark

Post by oel »

Hi Adam,

A broken hand mirror turned into a picture frame.

To me it appears to be a picture/photo frame and decorated with little Putti Angel Heads with C & Floral scrolls which could have been added after the mirror has been broken. The handle pointed end part damaged and twisted with the dolphin mark appears to be repaired(soldered back on). Could you please show us an image of the frame's back, does it have a wooden back? How is the handle attached to the frame? Does the composition of the frame's decoration, hanging parts and handle look original or could it be a sort of later marriage and are there no other marks?

Herewith an image of a hand mirror with a similar slim and pointed handle
Perhaps you could stick the pointed mirror handle in a holder to have both hands free?

The Dutch dolphin mark:the 1859 duty mark for new unguaranteed objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and on new heavily gold or silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This particular Dolphin mark used 1859-1893.

Oel
Adam.NYC

Post by Adam.NYC »

Thanks so much for your reply. I did find other similar Dutch hand mirrors, too, so my guess about the original use of this item was correct. Is there any way you would recognize the other mark? That is truly the best photo I could get!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Could you please show us an image of the frame's back, does it have a wooden back?

The other mark could be a Dutch maker's mark but too far gone to identify.

Oel.
Adam.NYC

Post by Adam.NYC »

Thanks so much for trying!

Return to “Dutch Silver”