Dutch snuff box with diamond maker's mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Dutch snuff box with diamond maker's mark?

Post by SilverK »

I have a Dutch snuff box here, judging by what I think is the 'J' denoting the tax mark for 'locally made' silver. The rest of the marks escape me, however, in particular the diamond-shaped mark that is presumably the maker's mark. There's another mark on the box which could be Minerva's head, but even that is obscured, so I haven't shown that. Has anybody any thoughts on the maker, the date etc, even confirmation that it is actually Dutch? Many thanks.

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch snuff box with diamond maker's mark?

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK,
The snuffbox looks to be made in the 19th century and perhaps made in Belgium or France due to the maker's mark lozenge, followed by an unclear, later added import/duty mark ? (Southern Netherlands 1814-1842 or Belgium).
The script I is a Dutch duty mark for unguaranteed standard of fineness new gold and silver objects of national origin used 1906-1953. This mark was used on all new Netherlands silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and new heavily silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest legal standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes mistakenly used on old and foreign objects and in 1927 also used on objects of old national origin.

Best,

Oel.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Oel, thanks very much for your helpful response. All the marks associated with this box seem to be unclear, which is very frustrating. Ho hum.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
Not boring & dull nor frustrating, unclear marks only and you are welcome.

Best,

Oel.

Return to “Dutch Silver”