small box with a hinged lid

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kertesz

small box with a hinged lid

Post by Kertesz »

1 3/4" H, 2" W, 1 1/4" D
Can someone identify this hallmark? To me, it looks French I think it is 18th C. but I can't find this hallmark in any of my books.
Greatly appreciated in advance,
Eva
oel
co-admin

Re: small box with a hinged lid

Post by oel »

Hi Eva, welcome to the forum.

It is a 19th century Dutch silver lodderein box or loddereindoosje also lodereindoosje or odelareindoosje from the French L'eau de la reine a scent box or vinaigrette box. Your image is showing the Dutch assay office mark also known as the Minerva head. The maker's mark, standard mark and year letter could be spread over the box and/ or hidden in the decoration. Please show us the other marks.
For Dutch (hall)marks see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Best,

Peter.
Kertesz

Post by Kertesz »

Hello Peter,
Thank you very much for the information. I thought vinaigrette boxes had an inner lid, and they were smaller. This doesn't looks like anything is missing from this box. I am attaching the only mark i found, if it is a mark at all. The bottom of the box had a lot of bad repairs, the date letter must have been there.
Thanks again,
Eva
Kertesz

Post by Kertesz »

I also found this. Could it be an H?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Eva,

Loddereindoosje; small in two halves hinged perfume box containing a sponge or cotton ball soaked in perfume or cologne with which the skin could be dabbed. In order to prevent the scented water evaporates too quickly, a lodderein box is often higher than it is wide .
Indeed a vinaigrette is typical British and smaller, contains a grill and under the grill a little sponge soaked in vinegar. The vinaigrette box having a hinged lid on the box and beneath that, a grill. As the vinegar was corrosive, the grill was often gilded to prevent deterioration to the silver from ascetic acid. The basic recipe for the substance within the vinaigrette was exactly as we define vinaigrette today: vinegar with herbs and spices.  The liquid was then added to the sponge that sat beneath the grill. Vinegar emits a strong odour, it does not smell like violets or roses, but it beats the smell of British shit and it was not dabbed on the skin and only to smell.

The marks on a Dutch lodderein box are often punched at; the rim of the box, the bottom of the box and one on the lid. The year letter not clear, perhaps a Gothic t for 1878.

Best,

Peter
Kertesz

Post by Kertesz »

Hello Peter,
Thank you very much for your help.
Eva

Return to “Dutch Silver”