Need help with this 17th/18th century spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Need help with this 17th/18th century spoon

Post by SilverK »

This Dutch spoon has a plethora of marks, but I need help in identifying them. I can see it was assayed in Amsterdam and is of 1st standard, but that's as far as my limited knowledge takes me. Any help would be gratefully received. Hopefully the single mark on the right hand side of the bowl in my second picture is visible. If not, I'll provide a close-up of that as well.

oel
co-admin

Re: Need help with this 17th/18th century spoon

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK,

Dutch silver birth or commemorative spoon in Dutch called; geboortelepel or gelegenheidslepel, with theme; Geloof, Hoop en Liefde; Faith, Hope and Love.

Could you make some clear enhanced images of all marks including the right hand mark, please use day light, no flashlight. Like to see clear images of the Amsterdam town mark, the lion rampant and other marks. Thanks.

Oel.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

The information you've given is already helpful, oel, thank you! Here we go with the clearer images. The mark on the bottom row, centre, is the isolated one on the RHS of the bowl in my previous picture.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK,

Thanks for the clear additional images.
If we study the marks left of the rat tail; the town mark of Amsterdam and the lion rampant we discover some red herrings. The maker's mark or what looks like a rearing horse is unknown. The mark at the right side of the rat-tail appears to be the remains of a fake Amsterdam town mark, what should not be present. The other additional marks left of the rat- tail, the U in a circular shield and the initials IV in a rectangular shield with the remains of solder could be signs we are dealing with a fake. The low quality, the high shine gilding and the quantity of this same type of spoons offered at internet auctions could confirm our suspicion; a possible fake.
Herewith an other example of this type of spoon:
I have forwarded your images to some experts on Dutch silver and will inform you of their opinion.

Best,

Oel.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Thanks oel for your comments and your time on this. If it is fake, then I'm very pleased indeed that it has been caught....I look forward with some trepidation to the views of your experts.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Dear SilverK,

Unfortunately the opinion of the experts are negative.

Best,

Oel.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Dear oel,

Thanks for your expertise and effort on this, even though the news was negative. Unfortunately, this experience puts all such spoons in doubt in my mind because I don't have the knowledge to identify the good from the bad.

Best wishes,

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”