very early button

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
BeauHarper

very early button

Post by BeauHarper »

Early button depicting a horse, this one was found by a digger In Blyth Nottinghamshire. I bought this directly from the digger. It appears there are three markings, two "K"'s and a box with four dots in it. the other indentations on the back appear to be imperfections. Couldn't find any information online about the age. I am totally new to silver markings so please be patient with me! Any info is greatly appreciated. I am especially looking forward to getting an era on this button. Thanks in advance,
Beau
Image Image Image
dognose
Site Admin

Re: very early button

Post by dognose »

Hi Beau,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you try to capture a much larger image of the marks? From what I can see they do not appear to be English, perhaps Dutch?

You are far more likely to get a response if you embed your images as very few people will click on thumbnails and links.

Trev.
BeauHarper

Post by BeauHarper »

Hey trev,
Thanks for the response. I will try to get better photos as soon as possible. Sorry about the link, my computer shows them imbedded, that's strange... I'm going to have to try to figure it out. You could be right, may not be an English piece, I have no clue, could have just been someone who was passing by.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Beau,welcome.

18th Century or early 19th century Silver guild marks for the Dutch city of Schoonhoven. See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Year letter K perhaps for 1760,1783 or 1803. I am checking on the maker’s mark and year letter but at the moment no access to my books, will get back to you.

Peter.
BeauHarper

Post by BeauHarper »

Thanks a lot for the info Peter! Really looking forward to hearing more! Interesting how a duch button ended up in Blyth. Also another question someone may be able to answer, who would have worn silver buttons like this?
Thanks a lot,
Beau
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hello Beau,

The maker’s mark is IK for Jan Kleyn, Schoonhoven 1767-1806. The year letter K, I believe is for 1803.
The maker's mark of Jan Kleyn, Schoonhoven 1767-1806, with known variations:
The year-letter K variations seen:

Jan Kleyn a known button maker. His buttons are found worldwide and those days worn by 'everyday better of man and woman', see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... yn#p112153

Best,

Peter
BeauHarper

Post by BeauHarper »

That's great! thanks a lot!

Return to “Dutch Silver”