Makers Mark ID on Ladle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
moonshine

Makers Mark ID on Ladle

Post by moonshine »

Hello All. I've looked through the Dutch Makers Mark site linked from this website, and could not find this mark. The first letter is difficult to read.
The closest I found was Johannes Hendrikus Tarner, but the dates don't match up if I'm reading the date correctly as 1895 Amsterdam.
12 inches long, 207 grams.
Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks.

oel
co-admin

Re: Makers Mark ID on Ladle

Post by oel »

Hi Moonshine, Dutch year letter Gothic L for 1895, office mark or Minerva head with regional assay office letter A(upside down) for city of Amsterdam.
The maker's mark WT under a spoon for: Johannes Wilhelm Tarner, regstered in Amsterdam after 1872 till 1910. Johannes Wilhelm Tarner also used the maker's mark 2JWT. Johannes Wilhem Tarner and his son Johannes Hendricus registered a maker's mark in 1911, W.T under a spoon under the name of Fa.(firm) J.W. Tarner (Tarner J.H & W.J. Tarner) until 1925 when Johannes Hendricus became a travelling salesman.

The father of Johannes Wilhelm was Johannes Hendrikus Tarner, registered silversmith in Amsterdam from 1840/1879 with maker's mark HT under a spoon.

The maker's mark of Johannes Wilhelm Tarner, notice the art style of the W:

Best,

Oel.
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Thank you very much for the great information.
JKM

Post by JKM »

1895 835/1000 silver
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

2nd Standard Purity = .833 until 1953?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes indeed; lion passant above 2: standard mark silver .833 fineness (used 1814-1953). for more information see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Oel.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I hope this set of spoon marks I noted might be the "Daddy" and a useful addition to this post.

I think the year is 1860 but the City letter is unclear.
Fishless
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless,

Yes, you completed the family. The father of Johannes Wilhelm was Johannes Hendrikus Tarner, registered silversmith in Amsterdam from 1840/1879 with maker's mark HT under a spoon. Indeed year letter a for 1860.

Cheers,

Peter
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello again, I was looking at another Dutch spoon on line recently and thought the maker's mark "HT" under a "spoon" seemed familiar. It brought me back to this post on the "Tarner" family silversmithing concern. I noted the the image, previously uploaded by myself, of Johannes Hendrikus Tarner's mark had ben lost. Here is an composite image of the original "a" mark from 1860 and the Johannes Hendrikus Tarner mark on this on line spoon. This "K" date letter, I believe, dates the spoon to 1844.

Fishless

Return to “Dutch Silver”