Who was the maker of this Dutch bowl?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Who was the maker of this Dutch bowl?

Post by SilverK »

I haven't been able to discover who was the maker of this 1887 bowl. To the base (not shown) are a set of pseudo marks, but the real marks of the maker and date letter are also stamped, though I can't find Minerva's head. I'm not sure which way up the maker's mark goes, so I've shown it in two orientations. I'm hoping the forum may be able to help with the maker and city.

oel
co-admin

Re: Who was the maker of this Dutch bowl?

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK,

AH above 1 in a rectangle for; Alle de Haas also known as Fa. (Firm) A. de Haas or Th. De Haas, city of Sneek, mark used 1877/1966. His maker's mark is often seen in combination with pseudo marks. See:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590

I believe the year letter to be the Gothic T for 1903

Oel
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Wonderful! Thanks very much oel. The pseudo marks are exactly the same ones as shown in your link. I think you are right about the 1903 date.

I would like to check a couple of things, if I may:

1) When you say the mark was used in 1877/1966, I assume you mean only in these years. Why would the maker's mark only be used in those precise years and 89 years apart?

2) Would I be right to say that since the date letter, fineness mark and export key are undoubtedly real, and also based on your attribution, this bowl was actually made in 1877 (with pseudo marks and maker's mark applied at the time) and then assayed for export in 1903?

Best regards,

Silverk.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

AH 1; the responsibility mark of Firm Alle de Haas, registered in the city of Sneek province Friesland

Alle de Haas (1849-1923), founder father of Firm Alle de Haas in 1877, was a very talented master using the old silver techniques in combination with fantasy marks and later with pseudo/fake marks, mainly because antique silver with the old guild marks sold far better than modern hand made silver in the traditional way.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Friesland' s interest in antique silver is further encouraged by two exhibitions, both held in Leeuwarden, the first in 1900 and second in 1927.
Pseudo old marks & fantasy marks were used for competitive reasons, the high demand for antique silver at home and abroad,for silver being old & handmade in the traditional way. The import regulations in the UK and US; antique silver could be imported at a lower duty rate compared to modern silver.However the British importers know the silver items are not old and do sell it at such; being curios cabinet items.

The firm of Alle de Haas (established in 1877) continued after his death, using the same maker's mark AH 1, until the firm went out of business in 1966.

Your brandy bowl with decorative fantasy marks was made for export around 1903 and assayed in 1903 by the proper Dutch authorities (assay office).

Best regards,
Oel
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

That all makes sense now! Thanks very much indeed.

Best regards,

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”