Spoon with Sword and possible TGD or TCD maker's marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Spoon with Sword and possible TGD or TCD maker's marks

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I saw a spoon on line and could not identify the marks. I could see the “Dutch dagger” but the maker’s mark was obscured. I now own the spoon but I am not very much wiser about the identification of the spoon. I know from the “Our” web site and Forum that the “sword” mark started in 1804 and that it has slightly different possibly datable forms. My best guess from the article is I think that the spoon is not from the period of the first sword mark. I note however that the monogram is on the back of the spoon finial which with UK spoons often comes on early 19th century and earlier spoons. I have uploaded a few pictures and hope there could be a bit of help from the forum.
I did try the “Zilberkeuren” web site but was unable to find a letter match to get the maker. I have used that hallmark web site before, sometimes successfully but more often unsuccessfully. Obviously needing to use the translation service does not help but as I see only a few marks from the Netherlands I would be interested if anyone had a feeling of how comprehensive the site was for Netherlands hallmarks?
Please can the members of the forum have a look at the marks and give me some ideas and pointers.
Thanks
Fishless
oel
co-admin

Re: Spoon with Sword and possible TGD or TCD maker's marks

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless,

To me it appears to read GB under 1 (like a hammer) for: Gerrit Box, registered in Amsterdam from 1863/1873. I believe it to be the first sword mark used 1814-1906.
Zilverkeuren website linked to a commercial silver firm does show the marks of numerous Dutch silversmiths but not all.

Best,

Peter
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Hello, thank you Peter for the quick reply. A hammer could be the upper character but with a hand lens the last letter does not look like a “B”. That said we all know the frustration caused by 100 years of spoon use that leaves very little of the marks to research at all. I have uploaded 2 more photos that may be clearer and I promise I have not “photo shopped” them.
I am always worried about the size of photos I upload as I might get into trouble again.
Thanks
Fishless
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless,

Indeed more like GD under an upright or vertical hammer. The silversmith Gallus Jacobus Drewes used various marks based upon his initials GD under a horizontal hammer facing left or right or a hammer in between his initials GD. This particular mark GD under a vertical hammer might be one of his marks (unrecorded)
Gallus Jacobus Drewes active in Groningen and Bedum, registered 1812-1838.

Best,

Peter
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Thank you again Peter. I now can put a label on another spoon and more importantly an unrecorded maker’s mark is “out there” on the web with a likely owner. Hopefully others can find it, discuss it and confirm it. This search has also taught me that images are frequently used in Dutch maker’s marks and for the future I need to consider that a” letter” may in fact be an image.
Yours
Fishless

Return to “Dutch Silver”