Please help me identify this one

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mitch3258

Please help me identify this one

Post by Mitch3258 »

These mark an odd seal stamp with a hidden corkscrew.

oel
co-admin

Re: Please help me identify this one

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Could you please show us a bit bigger, enhanced images of the marks?

Oel.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, it looks like a 18th century silver corkscrew. The corkscrew consists of three parts: the corkscrew with the handle, the holder where the corkscrew is stored with at the bottom a screwed pin with a sharp point to puncture a hole in the cork, so that the corkscrew is easier installed & the cork pulled out.

I believe I do recognize the town mark for Amsterdam, 2nd standard silver. The maker's mark could be I.A crowned for; Johannes (Josephus) Servatius Anderlee, registered in Amsterdam 1782-1818. The crowned O, tax free mark for 1807. Please show us an enhanced image to confirm.
For information about the marks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Best,

Oel
Mitch3258

Post by Mitch3258 »

Thank you very, very much. I hope the new pics aren't too large. Hope they help.

Mitch
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mitch,

Thank you very much.

Mark of Josephus Servatius Anderlee
Source; Karel A. Citroen, Amsterdamse Zilversmeden en hun merken.
The contours of the shield are not as they should be but I read the letters I.A under a crown and attribute this mark to Josephus Servatius Anderlee and a known corkscrew maker.
The Amsterdam town mark, although malformed late 18th century perhaps year letter K(?) for 1794

Best,

Peter
Mitch3258

Post by Mitch3258 »

You are the best. I thank you for all you do. I don't believe I would have ever figured this one out.

:)

Mitch
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mitch, you are welcome.

Best,

Peter
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Just for the record. In 1912 Elias Voet's Merken van Amsterdamsche goud-en zilversmeden , attributed this maker's mark I.A under crown without contour to; Jurian Asmus (1787)

However later upgraded bookwork of Dutch maker's and names mark prior to 1812 written by Citroen in 1993 does not mention Jurian Asmus and does not show this particular maker's mark as such in Karel A. Citroen Amsterdamse Zilversmeden en hun merken (written in 1975). Karel A. Citroen, Dutch Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Marks and Names prior to 1812 only mentions; IA dot, crown Amsterdam 1782-1811 Johannes or Josepus S. Anderlee.

Herewith image page Elias Voet's Merken van Amsterdamsche goud-en zilversmeden 1912

Best,

Peter

Gratitude; Dick Dekker
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

A very reliable source has informed me we could be looking at fake marks.
The maker's mark of the corkscrew looks like I.A under crown in contour and indeed this particular maker's mark as such is not shown in the relevant books.
Josephus Servatius Anderlee used the following maker's mark; script letter A in contour, I.A under crown in oval shield, JSA in contoured frame, this mark also has been encountered as a falsification!, JSA in rectangle during Kingdom of Holland (1807-1812), JSA above star in lozenge (1812-1818) and JSA above star in square (1818/1818).
As we know the maker's mark JSA of Josephus Servatius Anderlee has been faked and perhaps this unrecorded mark I.A under crown in contour is a fake mark too. Hence the position of the dot between IA in contour, the unclear Amsterdam town mark and the half crowned O. The truth is in the mind of the beholder with knowledge.

Peter

Source:Ref:
Elias Voet, Jr., Nederlands Goud- & Zilvermerken,
Karel A. Citroen, Dutch Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Marks and Names prior to 1812,
Karel A. Citroen, Amsterdamse Zilversmeden en hun merken.
L.B. Gans goud-en zilvermerken van Voet.
W. Koonings De keuring van goud en zilver tijdens het Koninkrijk Holland
Waarborgholland, ˜Netherlands' Responsibility Marks since 1797
Valse Zilvermerken in Nederland K.A. Citroen

Gratitude; Premsela & Hamburger .

Return to “Dutch Silver”