Tea Caddy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
agsearcher

Tea Caddy

Post by agsearcher »

Hello to all. I believe I have identified all of the hallmarks except the maker's mark. Haarlem, 1721, and the quality mark. Anybody who can identify the maker please. Thanks.

oel
co-admin

Re: Tea Caddy

Post by oel »

Hi, indeed first impression town mark of Haarlem, missing its crown, year letter script L for 1721, the lion rampant or province mark for 1st standard silver. Maker's mark appears to be an acorn attributed to ; Andries Akersloot c. 1718- c.1758. However it comes with a warning this mark can also be encountered as a falsification, including the marks of Haarlem. Andries Akersloot was admitted master of the Haarlem silversmith's guild about 1718. He was assayer in 1723, dean in 1725, 1729, 1732 and 1736. He has made a large amount of tea caddies between 1718 and 1744. The date of his death is unknown.
The maker's mark and the year letter the script L I have my doubts but looking at images it is not for me to judge.

Best,

Peter
agsearcher

Post by agsearcher »

Thank you for response oel. I'm confident it is authentic to time 1721, having it in hand. There are 2 other marks as well, one on the lid and the other on the top of body where the lid covers, which from research is mark sometimes mistakenly used on old objects. I include another picture of the town mark as well. Again, thank you.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, yes ​the script-letter I used 1906-1953; Duty mark for unguaranteed standard of fineness new silver objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new Netherlands silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and new heavily silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest legal standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes mistakenly used on old and foreign objects and in 1927 also used on objects of old national origin. Valid from 1906 till 1953.
Your tea caddy:
Maker's mark acorn attributed to Andries Akersloot
Close up of town mark on tea caddy

For comparison below the marks of Haarlem on a brandy bowl made 1721;
Guild city mark of Haarlem, the coat of arms: a sword flanked by two stars under a cross.
Date Letter script letter L for Haarlem 1721

Province standard lion rampant in a crowned shield for 934/1000 fineness
Maler's marks of Andries Akersloot

Reference K.A. Citroen Haarlemse zilversmeden en hun merken

Authentic or fake; a close examination of the marks on the tea caddy is needed before we can draw a conclusion.

Best,

Peter
agsearcher

Post by agsearcher »

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Again, I have no doubt as to the authenticity of this tea caddy being from Haarlem 1721, having it in hand. As we know, you take in the whole piece first, marks second, among other things, and obviously this cannot be done from photos alone. This was not my inquiry. I just did not have the resources for Haarlem silversmiths to match up the makers mark. Thank you again for that.

Return to “Dutch Silver”