Dutch Bible clasps

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jnobel

Dutch Bible clasps

Post by jnobel »

I recently bought this 18th century Dutch Bible, with (what I think are) two silver clasps. The publication date of the Bible is 1739, and one of the clasps is inscribed with the date 1755, which may narrow down the year. I assume the marks are Dutch, but of course it is possible that the original owner moved to another country and had the claps fitted later. I bought the Bible in the UK.

One of the marks seems to include the capitals A K (this mark is impressed four times, once on each end of each clasp). One of them looks like a tower or gate (twice, only on one end of each clasp). The last mark is a mystery to me, and seems different on each clasp (twice, on one end of each clasp).

I am just trying to piece the history of this item together. Any help is greatly appreciated.
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Bible clasps

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum, indeed the bible plates & clasps are Dutch silver, 2nd standard or "kleine keur", town mark of Alkmaar, 18h century. The town mark of Alkmaar is based on the coat of arms; a stronghold/castle tower and this particular tower mark was used 1735-1807.
The maker's mark initials AK conjoined, I believe without checking my reference book seen with and without crown for; Adrianus van den Kerkhoven, registered in Alkmaar 1733-1753.

One clasp with the year letter C for Alkmaar 1737.

And one clasp wit the year letter A (misstruck) for Alkmaar 1735
See Alkmaar:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Best,

Peter
jnobel

Post by jnobel »

Thank you so much! I'm very impressed.

Jan
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Jan, you are welcome but do not thank me too much. At the moment I have no excess to to my files. I will confirm the maker and dates later because the initials AK could perhaps stand for; Arie Klap registered in Alkmaar from 1790-1811.

Best,

Peter
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Jan,
After consultation the mark of Arie Klap is excluded his maker's mark does look different. NB the year letters are; A for 1735 and C for 1737
Alkmaar silver and its (hall) marks are not often seen. Nice find.

Best,

Peter

Gratitude; Bart Winnubst/Premsela & Hamburger
jnobel

Post by jnobel »

Fantastic. Thanks you so much.

Return to “Dutch Silver”