What is the provenance of this Dutch spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

What is the provenance of this Dutch spoon?

Post by SilverK »

Hi,

I have what I believe to be a Dutch spoon, made c1790. I'm interested in both the maker and the owner of the crest.

I think the maker's initials are DW, where the 'D' is lopsided. Who is this and when were they in operation?

The crest is interesting and, to me, rather confusing. The crest is formed as a garter below what looks like a Royal crown. The motto on the periphery of the garter reads (I think) 'Montjoei Saint Denys' (the war cry of France) and is on on an azure ground and with three stylized fluer de lis. I assume the owner of the crest was the recipient of the spoon when it was presented as a gift after the funeral of the person whose name is inscribed on the bowl. Can anyone identify the country of origin of the crest (Swedish, or French maybe?) and, even better, the original owner!

As always, any help is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: What is the provenance of this Dutch spoon?

Post by dognose »

Hi SilverK,

Can you post some more images, so that the engraved inscription can be read, and also of the whole spoon?

Trev.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Trev,

Here you go. I read the Dutch as: 'Fijbrandes Jiettes Nauta is Geboren Den 9 Juli 1765 Overleeden Den 10 Februari 1790' - Fijbrandes Juttes Nauta was born 9 July 1765, died on 10 February 1790.

Thanks for your response,
Silverk.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK

Believe the name to read; Sijbrandes Tiettes Nauta
I am working on the maker's mark perhaps SW and not DW, get back to you later.

Best,

Peter
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Royal crown, the motto, three stylized fleur de lys on azure ground.
Most probably Bourbons or French Kingdom, rather than the person here.
Turbulent times; he died very young, in a campaign, possibly naval battle.
Just guessing.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Sijbrandes Tiettes Nauta was baptized in the city of Sneek. The maker's mark is known but unfortunately can not be attributed with certainty to any known Frisian silversmith. There is a DW under a crown for; Jan de Wal jr., Leeuwarden 1771-1811
We believe the emblem/badge/family crest to be a far later addition not Dutch, indeed perhaps French or British related.

Peter

Gratitude;
http://www.zilverstudie.nl
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi AG2012 and Peter,

Your information has moved me on a fair bit, thanks, even if we haven't buttoned down everything. Maybe someone can add more given what you have said. I'm very surprised that you managed to find where he was born. I personally don't think the crest is English, more French or Swedish in my view, but I'm very likely to be wrong!

Thanks again,

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”