Who is this Dutch maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

Who is this Dutch maker?

Post by Kirils »

Hello. Please help me identify this Dutch maker. From what I can see it looks like MK, but I could be wrong. This item was also probed in Sweden.

oel
co-admin

Re: Who is this Dutch maker?

Post by oel »

Hi Kirils.

Nice oil&vinegar cruet set and I believe you are right MK (conjoined) under a crescent moon (deformed) for; Johannus Mattheus van Kempen II born in Utrecht 1792-07-22, died in Utrecht 1831-09-05. Registered in Utrecht as silversmith during 1816-1831. Son of Johannes Mattheus van Kempen (I), brother of Pieter Johannes van Kempen, father of Johannes Mattheus (III). Could you please check the set for a date letter and assay office mark and if found show us an image?
For information about the van Kempen family of silversmiths see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 590#p70305

Peter.
Kirils
contributor

Post by Kirils »

oel wrote:Hi Kirils.

Nice oil&vinegar cruet set and I believe you are right MK (conjoined) under a crescent moon (deformed) for; Johannus Mattheus van Kempen II born in Utrecht 1792-07-22, died in Utrecht 1831-09-05. Registered in Utrecht as silversmith during 1816-1831. Son of Johannes Mattheus van Kempen (I), brother of Pieter Johannes van Kempen, father of Johannes Mattheus (III). Could you please check the set for a date letter and assay office mark and if found show us an image?
For information about the van Kempen family of silversmiths see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 590#p70305

Peter.
Thank you alot for your information Peter. Yes I found a year mark on a top hanndle. Sorry for the bad quality. Looks like it is 1827 if I'm right.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes, the script letter S for 1827, it fits the time frame for Johannus Mattheus van Kempen II, and if you find the assay office mark it should show the regional assay office letter B for Utrecht.

Peter.
Kirils
contributor

Post by Kirils »

oel wrote:Yes, the script letter S for 1827, it fits the time frame for Johannus Mattheus van Kempen II, and if you find the assay office mark it should show the regional assay office letter B for Utrecht.

Peter.
Thank you again for all your help!!!

Return to “Dutch Silver”