Little Dutch box - confusing marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jojo2000

Little Dutch box - confusing marks

Post by Jojo2000 »

Jo there , I have had this little box for some time but have never got to the bottom of these marks - I can see the Dutch marks but it also looks to have Hanau marks too - would anyone know the maker ?
I hope the photos are clear - on the back of the little cabinet there is an additional mark...
Thanking you in advance,
Jo.

oel
co-admin

Re: Little Dutch box - confusing marks

Post by oel »

Hi Jo, your loderein box is copy of a popular model made in the 18th century. An antique Dutch silver lodereindoosje. The english translation would be vinaigrette, pomander of scent box. The box is in the form of an armoire (kabinet) in traditional shape, with domed lid and shaped doors, decorated with swags, with 4 drawers in the base. At the back is written in printed letters; Dit kabinet heb ik van doen Het is al weer een nieuw fatsoen which more or less translates to; This cabinet I needed It is again a new Decency (fashion).
The maker's mark JK. above 1 is for: Jacob Kooiman Az, registered in Schoonhoven from 1860, when he took over the shop from his mother till 1893, the year he died and his son took over the shop. The 2nd image, the back of the box shows the year letter Gothic .A upside down. In the 19th century Schoonhoven silversmiths used pseudo marks to imitate the antique 18th century silver guild marks .
See:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 590#p71003
For a similar 18th century loderein box see:
https://imageshack.com/a/YTpl/1

Peter.
Jojo2000

Re: Little Dutch box - confusing marks

Post by Jojo2000 »

Hi Peter,
Thank you ever so much for the swift , clear and informative response - you have covered all bases, I don't think I would have ever found all that info on my own !
Many thanks ,
Jo.

Return to “Dutch Silver”