Silver purse without date letter

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Sasetar

Silver purse without date letter

Post by Sasetar »

Today I made a nice find from a charity shop, a very old purse and I started to see if I can find any information about it.
I found to this forum since there has been a post about a purse parts that has same hallmarks.
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45232

There are four five hallmarks on the back and two stamps on the mechanism lock part.
Not sure if there is trying to be something on the other side of the head stamp or is it just the marks of when the head mark was made (it is quite deep).

What wonders me is that there are no date letter. Why is this?
I would really like to know what year this is from (the fabric might be never), where is it from and who made it (also who wore it, but that is sort of impossible to find out, since I don't know the last owner). Very happy if you can help me out! :)

oel
co-admin

Re: Silver purse without date letter

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your silver lady purse frame is made in/or around Schoonhoven. Next to the sword mark is the maker's/responsibility mark W. above GH for; widow G. Hoogendoorn, registered in Schoonhoven with this particular mark 1897-1908. The second image shows some pseudo marks, the assay office mark/Minerva head with the regional assay office letter M for Schoonhoven. It also shows the maker's/ responsibility mark P.H. for Pleun Hoogendoorn Jr., registered in Willige Langerak, a small village close to Schoonhoven (around 5 KM), this particular mark used 1882/1901.
The year letter perhaps unclear and/or hidden in the decoration. The purse frame could have been made in joined venture between Pleun and the widow or bought by the widow when Pleun closed shop.
MC , the "running horse", and the " shell" pseudo maker's marks used in Schoonhoven.
Around last quarter 19th century-early 20th century pseudo old marks & fantasy marks were used for competitive reasons, the high demand for antique silver at home and abroad, silver being old & handmade in the traditional way. The import regulations in the UK and US; antique silver could be imported at a lower rate of duty compared to modern silver. The British importers know the silver items are not old and do sell it at such; being curios cabinet items.
For Dutch (hall)marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.
Sasetar

Post by Sasetar »

oel wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your silver lady purse frame is made in/or around Schoonhoven. Next to the sword mark is the maker's/responsibility mark W. above GH for; widow G. Hoogendoorn, registered in Schoonhoven with this particular mark 1897-1908. The second image shows some pseudo marks, the assay office mark/Minerva head with the regional assay office letter M for Schoonhoven. It also shows the maker's/ responsibility mark P.H. for Pleun Hoogendoorn Jr., registered in Willige Langerak, a small village close to Schoonhoven (around 5 KM), this particular mark used 1882/1901.
The year letter perhaps unclear and/or hidden in the decoration. The purse frame could have been made in joined venture between Pleun and the widow or bought by the widow when Pleun closed shop.
MC , the "running horse", and the " shell" pseudo maker's marks used in Schoonhoven.
Around last quarter 19th century-early 20th century pseudo old marks & fantasy marks were used for competitive reasons, the high demand for antique silver at home and abroad, silver being old & handmade in the traditional way. The import regulations in the UK and US; antique silver could be imported at a lower rate of duty compared to modern silver. The British importers know the silver items are not old and do sell it at such; being curios cabinet items.
For Dutch (hall)marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.
Thank you so much for the info! This helped a lot!

I also found a lion hallmark from the side of the decorative front part.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

HI, yes the Dutch lion pasant 2, second standard silver 833/000 fineness, used 1814 till September 1953

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”