Abraham du Castel maker's mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gary Friar

Abraham du Castel maker's mark?

Post by Gary Friar »

Hello everyone,

I have a dutch Silver Caster and Mustard Pot from 's Hertogenbosch (Forest Tree), (K = 1735) but i contains two marks that are unclear to me.

The items are attributed to Abraham du Castel (d. 1713). So one of the marks could well be a maker's mark. (if so what does it represent?) One of them, to me at least, seems to be an instrument (harp or a horn)

Anyone any idea what these marks can be and what the represent? I've marked them with a red circle.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Gerrit-Jan Koster

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Abraham du Castel maker's mark?

Post by dognose »

Please embed your images.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Re: Abraham du Castel maker's mark?

Post by oel »

Hi Gary, great find. Nice caster and mustard pot however not made by Abraham du Castel ( Abraham de Kasteel) but I believe made by Jacobus du Castel. Both items made/assayed in different years.
Abraham du Castel registered in s'Hertogenbosch 3-9-1685-died 27-7-1713. His maker's mark being a castle with three towers with one gate in an oval shield.
Jacobus du Castel registered in s'Hertogenbosch 7-4-1711 died 4-1-1757 and his maker's mark being a castle with three towers and three gates in circular shield. See below:

Your item
The s'Hertogenbosch town mark (forest tree) uncrowned perhaps for 2nd standard silver and clearly for midth 18th century used 1735-1757 and in combination with year letter K crowned for 1734-1735 and the maker's mark of Jacobus du Castel.

The other item;
The s'Hertogenbosch town mark crowned used 1723 till 1735 in combination with the year letter H ( Gothic style) crowned used 1732-1733 and the maker's mark of Jacobus du Castel (upside down).

Best,

Peter

Return to “Dutch Silver”